ifi hip-dac 2 mini DAC headphone amplifier
iFi Audio hip-dac2 is a pocketable pick-me-up for music lovers.
Take the hip-dac 2, a mini DAC/headphone amplifier, with you wherever you go for improved music on the move.
- Replaces inferior DAC and amp circuitry in smartphones, tablets, PCs and Macs
- Vastly improves headphone sound – at home and on the go
- Powerful new 16-core XMOS chip processes audio data over USB
- Upgraded GMT clock system eradicates jitter
- Excellent build quality – seamless aluminum enclosure slips easily into a bag or pocket
- State-of-the-art hi-res audio support – 24-bit/384kHz PCM, bit-perfect DSD, and now, MQA decoding
- Powerful high-fidelity amp stage drives most corded headphones and in-ear monitors with ease
- Balanced circuit design delivers ultra-low signal distortion
- Rotary analogue volume control
- PowerMatch setting to adjust gain
- XBass tailors bass response to suit your music and your headphones
- Two headphone outputs: 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced and 3.5mm S-Balanced
- S-Balanced output cuts distortion by 50% with single-ended headphone connections
- USB-A input for audio and separate USB-C input for charging
Colourful. Capable. Crisper.
Our much loved hip-dac has had a makeover!
This portable, hi-res DAC/headphone amp looks ultra cool in its new vibrant Sunset Orange finish. Not only has the hip-dac2‘s super sleek aluminum case had a update, but its insides have also been enhanced.
The new 16-core XMOS chip, which processes data over USB, delivers double the clock speed and four times the memory. This improves overall performance and allows the addition of full MQA decoding to the hip-dac2‘s skill set. There is also an upgraded crystal clock which eradicates jitter for purer sound.
So, whether you are working in your favourite coffee shop or chilling on your daily commute — sunrise or sunset — you’ll definitely want to take the hip-dac2 with you wherever you go.
Shooting from the hip
The hip-dac2 replaces the inferior DAC (Digital-to-Analogue Converter) and amplifier circuitry in smartphones, tablets, PCs and Mac computers to vastly improve headphone sound.
The Burr-Brown DAC chip selected for for its fluid, highly musical sound quality and True Native architecture, together with iFi custom circuitry, enables the hip-dac2 to deliver excellent sound quality across digital audio formats, including bit-perfect PCM, native DSD and MQA.
The circuitry incorporates a range of high-quality components, carefully selected for their performance in an audio context, including a custom iFi OV op-amp, TDK C0G class 1 ceramic capacitors, a precision low-noise power supply IC from Texas Instruments and a high-quality analogue volume pot.
The amp stage features switchable gain, which we call PowerMatch. This matches the level of drive to the load presented by the headphones, by adjusting input sensitivity and thereby signal strength. Use the lower setting with high-sensitivity headphone. If your headphones require more drive, use PowerMatch to increase gain.XBass is another user-selectable feature – a sophisticated form of ‘bass boost’ that enhances low frequencies without muddying the midrange, particularly useful with earphones and open-back headphones that may lack deep bass. It operates entirely in the analogue domain rather than messing with the digital signal via DSP.
There are two USB ports – Type A for audio data and USB-C for charging. The Type A port features a male connector to provide greater mechanical integrity than a USB/micro USB ports commonly found on other DAC/headphone amps.Two outputs are provided – a 3.5mm socket for headphones with a single-ended cable/connector and a Pentaconn 4.4mm output enabling headphones equipped with balanced connectivity to take full advantage of the hip-dac2’s differential amp design.In addition, the 3.5mm output benefits from iFi’s proprietary S-Balanced circuitry, cutting crosstalk and related distortion in half when used with regular, single-ended headphone connections – this is especially beneficial with high-sensitivity in-ear monitors.
Features & Specifications
|USB 3.0 Type ‘A’
|Power Output (@1% THD)
|Approx. 8 hours
|Charging via USB-C, BC V1.2 compliant up
to 1000mA charging current and 6.3 volts
|<2W idle, 4W max
|102 x 70 x 14mm
4.0″ x 2.8″ x 0.6″
|135g (0.30 lbs)